Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Creating letters to use as a plot vehicle

The Juno Letters uses two conventions throughout the stories - letters and journals. These are the text-messages and voice-mail of the era. People wrote often and kept these life chronicles safely away. They are the true "stuff" of history. Creating them for your story, however, is frustratingly difficult.

Over the years I have developed my own strategy. In the new story, The Last Speech, I have a series of letters that move the story forward. The second of the group is used to try and determine who 'the bother' is and the context behind the letters. To meet the intent of the story, the language needs to be obscure but clues have to live buried within. Here is letter #2 -

10 Sept 1947

My Dear Brother,



I regret I have not written these many months. I have been able to send this letter through a British friend and escape the eyes of the prison censors.



The trial has been exhausting. For three weeks we faced our accusers whose pretense was finally revealed. Several charges have been dropped but I fear more prison time awaits.



I have not been able to correspond with my brother to ask him about the girl. I believe father arranged her departure. I think Mother knows of this, however she refuses to talk to about that time. Perhaps the truth may be told one day.

For now, expect little correspondence as long as I am in prison.



Obediently yours,

Otto

This is the fourth iteration of the letter. As I write the story based on this the content of the letter changes - I obscure more and more detail as Monique works to unravel the hidden nuances. By working backwards from what I originally wrote (what contained too much information) I am able to fit the letter snugly into the mystery. Likely I will eliminate references to prison, censors, etc., and find other means to obscure the facts but plant clues to find. This is part of the fun.

Watch the story develop at The Last Speech.

Good Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating letters to use as a plot vehicle

The Juno Letters uses two conventions throughout the stories - letters and journals. These are the text-messages and voice-mail of the era. ...