Sunday, January 12, 2014

Audio books - a new adventure

I recently added an audio book version of NOCK on Wood to my catalog. This was my first foray into this new medium. My narrator, Gary Regal, is an experienced audiobook producer, and he did a great job on NOCK. Now we are working on The Juno Letters - Book 1. What this really means is he is working, and I am pronouncing the French for him when he has a question. I have the easier job.

I used a dialog form I first saw in the novel Shogun where Japanese dialog was slowly worked into the novel as the main character learned how to speak the language. By the time you finished, you actually had a rudimentary command of basic Japanese. Very clever. I used something similar in Juno - a French phrase in dialog, followed by the English. I think it works great in print.

But maybe not so great in audio. I found some other things that needed a different approach as well. It helps to be working with someone like Gary who has been through this.

I am sure you will like the finished product. Audible.com (ACX) is an Amazon company, and they make it very easy to switch between e-book and audio. I hope you will take a look at their catalog and try it out.

L.W. Hewitt The Juno Letters

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating letters to use as a plot vehicle

The Juno Letters uses two conventions throughout the stories - letters and journals. These are the text-messages and voice-mail of the era. ...