Friday, January 3, 2014

A New Year ... and new challenges

I have enjoyed the start of this year. We have foster boys - teenagers (5 of them, I think) - and their odd comings and goings give me a chance to write in some great places. I spent several hours working on The Black Sun while at the White Pass ski lodge - a little duality going on there, which is appropriate to the story. Monday I spent several hours riding the Seattle-Bremerton ferry Hyak - something I used to do when in college back when they had to use oars to move the ferries. It's not quite as easy, because they make you get off the boat at each end now - back in the 70s you could just plop down with a typewriter (yes, Virginia, an actual Smith-Corona) and work away all day. Take a hint, WSDOT.

My schedule is starting to get back to normal, however, and I curled up next to the woodstove in my Oly Club office yesterday for the first time in a while. I am about half-way through The Black Sun, looking for ways to make it darker, and thinking about my marketing strategy for this upcoming year.

I am determined to figure out Facebook. I get an email that says "You Have Notifications" - whatever happened to "You have Mail?". When I click - nothing. And since when was "Like" a verb? Mind you, I am not a tech-ignorant fob. I spent most of my adult life running a technology company, and did some great and cutting edge things. But I must admit I don't get social media.

I remember when being a twit was NOT a good thing. Bear with me ... .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating letters to use as a plot vehicle

The Juno Letters uses two conventions throughout the stories - letters and journals. These are the text-messages and voice-mail of the era. ...