Monday, June 17, 2013

Working with ePUB files is hazardous to your mental health.  I have been struggling getting the various eBOOK devices to display correctly.  Invariably, there are some minor glitches.  Lulu.com attempts to resolve this by converting a DOC file to their desired ePub format.  I had early success with this, but still some minor issues.  I spent all morning trying to resolve them, and gave up.  Using Microsoft Word in styles mode is like going to the dentist.

I write in Pages for the Mac - a very elegant word processor.  The export to ePUB option produces an elegant file effortlessly that loads on the iBook from Dropbox easily.  The only thing you have to be careful of is to follow Apple's publication guidelines in the use of stles, and make certain you use page breaks and chapter number styles if you want the number to display.  Otehrwise, you may get a run-on chapter.

Uploading this ePub file to Lulu died.  That's OK - I took it directly to the iBookstore instead.  One issue - be sure UNCHECK the option to use the first page as a cover when you save the ePub for the iBook store.  You will be asked to provide cover art instead.  It caused an error in upload, but I found this tip online.

I will tackle Barnes and Nobel next.  However, any ePub should work with a NOOK - so I am told.  We'll have to see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating letters to use as a plot vehicle

The Juno Letters uses two conventions throughout the stories - letters and journals. These are the text-messages and voice-mail of the era. ...